Quiche Lorraine

Blogger and I have some issues. I started this post yesterday with the intentions of finishing it later, but somehow it was published. It certainly wasn't because I accidentally hit publish. :)
Last Friday night I rented Twilight and made Ty watch it with me. He actually liked it! Gasp!

It made me want to reread all the books. We went to Borders on Saturday night and I was going to buy the first book. (I borrowed the 1st one from a friend.) But they only had it in hardback. I don't like hardback books. They aren't as easy to tote around in my purse. They don't bend very easily. And I hate the sleeve. I always take them off while I am reading the book. I know you guys are thinking, "Why don't you just buy the book at Wal-Mart?" Well, Wal-Mart is only selling the book in the small paperback size with a scene from the movie on the front. Its ugly and I don't like the small size. I'm just a little particular! Most people I know like hard back books better. Am I the only weird one out there that prefers paperback??


Now to the reason for this post: QUICHE LORRAINE

I had never made a quiche before. I read several recipes online and combined a lot of them to come up with this. I thought it was delish! Although next time I think I will try to make my own pie crust or buy a different brand. I think I bought Great Value--It was my only option at Wal-Mart.


INGREDIENTS:
1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch single crust pie
6 slices bacon {I used turkey bacon and I umped it to 8 slices.}
1 onion, sliced {completely optional in my opinion}
3 eggs, beaten
1 1/3 cups milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
{I happened to have some fresh spinach leaves in the fridge that was about to go bad, so I threw some of it in as well.}
1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Line pastry shell with foil. Bake in oven for 8 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 5 minutes, or until crust is set and dry. Remove from oven and turn down temperature to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).

In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Drain and reserve 2 tablespoons of drippings. Crumble the bacon and set aside. Cook onion in skillet with reserved drippings; cook until onion is tender and then drain.

In a large bowl, mix together milk, salt, cayenne pepper, nutmeg and eggs. Stir in bacon, spinach and onion. In a separate bowl, toss cheese and flour together, then add to egg mixture. Be sure to mix well. Pour egg mixture into pie crust. {When I poured the egg mixture into the pie crust I got worried it would boil over so I put it on a baking sheet before putting it in the oven.}

Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until knife inserted in center of quiche comes out clean. I would recommend covering the edge of crust with foil while baking to prevent burning or overbrowning. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.


We ate it for leftovers the next night and it was just as good! And we aren't big leftovers fans.
Enjoy!
Photobucket
You have just read the article entitled Quiche Lorraine. Please read the article from The Sweet Simplicity About , more. And you can also bookmark this page with the URL : http://the-sweet-simplicity.blogspot.com/2009/04/quiche-lorraine.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2013. The Sweet Simplicity