I started searching for a recipe to use and found one on the POM Wonderful site.
POM and Balsamic-Glazed Chicken
I love balsamic vinegar and couldn't wait to try this.
This is the photo from their site. It was so much prettier than my food that I didn't even bother with taking my own picture. The recipe was delish! And so much different than what we normally eat. I loved that.
I halved most of the recipe or just guestimated since it was just the two of us. I will definitely be making this again!
Juice from 2-3 large POM Wonderful Pomegranates,* or 3/4 cup POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice
4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, or 8 to 12 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 cup packaged peeled baby carrots
3 sliced green onions
2-3 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon crushed dried basil
1/2 teaspoon crushed dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
Hot cooked penne pasta (optional)
1/3 cup arils from 1 large POM Wonderful Pomegranate
1. Prepare garnish - Score 1 fresh pomegranate and place in a bowl of water. Break open the pomegranate underwater to free the arils (seed sacs). The arils will sink to the bottom of the bowl and the membrane will float to the top. Sieve and put the arils in a separate bowl. Reserve 1/3 cup of arils from fruit and set aside. (Refrigerate or freeze remaining arils for another use.)
2. Prepare fresh pomegranate juice.*
3. Place oil in a large skillet; brown chicken pieces in batches with carrots and onions for 5-6 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Remove chicken pieces. Keep carrots and onions warm.
4. Place broth in a pan and add back chicken pieces; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until cooked. Reserve 1/3 cup of chicken cooking liquid.
5. Transfer chicken and vegetables to platter; cover and keep warm.
6. Put reserved 1/3 cup of chicken cooking liquid in skillet. Stir in pomegranate juice, vinegar, cornstarch, brown sugar and seasonings. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer 2 minutes.
7. Drizzle some of the sauce over chicken and vegetables; garnish with reserved arils. Serve with pasta if desired, and pass remaining sauce.
*For 1 cup of juice, cut 2-3 large POM Wonderful Pomegranates in half and juice them with a citrus reamer or juicer. Pour mixture through a cheesecloth-lined strainer or sieve. Set the juice aside. Nutrients Per Serving (10.2 oz.): 302 calories, 28g protein, 23g carbohydrate, 11g total fat (2g saturated), 73mg cholesterol, 625mg sodium, 543 RE vitamin A, 12mg niacin (B3), .6mg vitamin B6, 25mcg selenium, .5mg manganese.