very addicting

This weekend I had a couple of events to attend, so I decided to make cake balls. They have been all over blog land for a while and they always looked so yummy! I think that Bakerella started the phenomenon.
{picture courtesy allrecipes.com}

These little desserts were a huge hit Saturday night! A couple from church invited us over along with two other couples and their kids. It was such a nice evening! One of the guys kept saying this recipe was from the devil, because it was soooo delish and rich and you can't eat just one. We didn't come home with any leftovers.

The event that I was taking them to on Sunday was cancelled which means that Ty and I have eaten way too many of these things! During my freshman year of college I took a humanities class about ballet. As part of the class we had to see a campus ballet production. A friend and I went to the Nutcracker. During intermission I bought this little cake that was shaped like a mouse. It was the moistest cake ever! I have never been able to find anything else like it until I tried making cake balls! I was so excited to find something that tasted just like I remember that little cake tasting. I tried to find a picture, but all google came up with was Mickey Mouse or chocolate mousse. I guess they thought I couldn't spell.


Ingredients:

1 (18.25 ounce) package chocolate cake mix
1 (16 ounce) container prepared chocolate frosting {I only used 1/2 - 3/4 of the frosting.}
1 (3 ounce) bar chocolate flavored confectioners coating (almond bark)


Directions:

  • Prepare the cake mix according to package directions using any of the recommended pan sizes.
  • When cake is done, crumble while warm into a large bowl, and stir in the frosting until well blended.
  • Melt chocolate coating in a glass bowl in the microwave, or in a metal bowl over a pan of simmering water, stirring occasionally until smooth.
  • Use a melon baller or small scoop to form balls of the chocolate cake mixture.
  • Dip the balls in chocolate using a toothpick or fork to hold them. Place on waxed paper to set.

A few tips I picked up from various places on the interwebs:

  • In order to cut down on prep time, bake your cake the night before.
  • Once cake has cooled cut into 2 inch squares and throw in a bowl. Melt icing in the microwave for about 25 seconds. Spoon onto cake and mix with your mixer. Other people suggested using your hands, but I hate touching food with my hands. {I hate making hamburgers, ew!}
  • I used a cookie dough scooper to make my balls all the same size, but stilled rolled them into more of a ball shape with my hands.
  • I melted 3 bars of almond bark at a time and put a tsp on crisco with it.
  • I tried every way possible to dip the balls in the chocolate. The best way for me was to stick a toothpick in the side and dip it into the chocolate and use a spoon to help coat it as well.

I sprinkled pecans on top of half of them.

These could be the ugliest things ever and it wouldn't matter because they taste so good!

There are so many different flavor options that you can choose from. I think a strawberry cake with vanilla frosting and coated in chocolate would be delish!

I will be making these things again soon!

Photobucket




Posted by Picasa
You have just read the article entitled very addicting. Please read the article from The Sweet Simplicity About , more. And you can also bookmark this page with the URL : http://the-sweet-simplicity.blogspot.com/2009/08/very-addicting.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2013. The Sweet Simplicity