Chili's--a copycat recipe

My mom bought me this cookbook for Christmas last year.
51N2EJjLoTL._SL500_AA300_

My favorite recipe from it is Chili's Chicken Enchilada Soup. LOVE it. I love everything from Chili's, so of course I was excited to see this recipe in the cookbook.

lens2691212_1234832883Chilis_Chicken_Enchilada_Soup_2

I will warn you there are a lot of ingredients, but it is worth it. I promise. It also makes a TON. I freeze several containers of it.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup chicken bouillon powder
3 cups diced yellow onions
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp granulated garlic
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 cups masa harina*
4 quarts water
2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
8 oz Velveeta, cubed
3 lbs cooked chicken breast, shredded (I use a rotisserie chicken.)

Toppings:
Shredded cheddar cheese
tortilla strips (I buy a bag of these in the salad dressing aisle.)
pico de gallo (I buy this already prepared from the grocery store--saves time.)

Directions:
1. Add the oil, bouillon powder, onions, cumin, chili powder, garlic, and cayenne pepper to a large pot. Saute until the onions are soft and clear, about 5 minutes.

2. In a large bowl, combine the masa harina with 1 quart of the water. Stir until all the lumps have dissolved. Add to the sauteed onions and bring the mixture to a boil. Cook, stirring constantly, for an additional 2-3 minutes.

3. Add the remaining 3 quarts water to the pot. Add the tomatoes and return to a boil, stirring occasionally. Add the cheese and stir until it melts. Add the chicken; heat and serve.

4. Garnish with shredded cheese, tortilla strips, and pico.

(serves 16 to 20)

*Masa harina can be found in the hispanic food aisle. The kind I bought looks like this:
masa-1-500x334


You have just read the article entitled Chili's--a copycat recipe. Please read the article from The Sweet Simplicity About more. And you can also bookmark this page with the URL : http://the-sweet-simplicity.blogspot.com/2010/10/chili-copycat-recipe.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2013. The Sweet Simplicity